Last week I made a commitment to be more productive with my hand spinning of yarns and knitting of items which was based on my small supply of material to sell. I am happy to say that my production schedule is working and I completed 2 skeins of yarn and 1 hat within a week’s time frame. These 2 lovely skeins were spun into 2 ply yarns that still need to be measured but I’m thinking they are DK to Worsted weight yarns. The cabled lace hat also has been finished and was a challenge because I don’t particularly like cable needles.
I love the shine factor in both of these yarns and am having fun going through my stash of dyed rovings. There was a time towards the end of 2013 that I found myself short on dyed fibers but somehow that has been remedied (shopping sprees). This week I am on target for 4 skeins of yarn as I plied 2 yarns on Sunday and they are drying this week. The dyed Louet Fiber yarns are on the menu for this week. These rovings will have to be Navajo plied to keep the colors from being muddy which requires spinning a fine single so I may just do one of them. I’m really trying to boost the number of worsted and DK weight yarns in the inventory so I plan on spinning more of my other rovings than the Louet group.
On the needles is a new hat being made from the yarn I won at the Salida Fiber Festival last year. I won 3 skeins of a linen/cotton based yarn in pretty spring colors (green, yellow and peach). The yarns are being turned into hats with a broken rib stitch pattern but using a 2×2 ribbing. I had started to make a cowl using some kettle dyed yarn I received as a gift but am not liking the look of it with the color changes. This yarn has short color changes and knitting it in the round is creating a very muddled mess of colors. Thinking this yarn will make a better scarf than cowl and as it is a cotton/cashmere blend it deserves to be in a special project. My inventory only has 3 cowls in it and most are very warm so the search is on for the right lightweight yarn in a good color scheme to make cowls for the summer.
I managed to end the 2013 craft fair season with a profitable show. At this past weekends Holiday Artisan Boutique I took paid orders for 3 custom knit hats. Patrons loved the faux cable hats made but as they are more kid size than adults each requested a hat with longer length.
The first of the three is almost complete and has engaged my knitting skills. My patron chose a sports weight yarn as opposed to worsted weight. I have had to adjust needle size along with alterations in the stitch pattern. It is turning out rather nice though.
I am taking it easy this weekend. Going to the ballet with my niece today to see Swan Lake – yeah. Tomorrow I will be delivering hand spun yarn to my LYS and signing contracts to be on consignment there.
Goals for the weekend are to take product pictures of the spun yarn, finesse pricing on my yarn and improve the yardage on a couple of skeins. I should be able to accomplish these things and it will be nice here in Denver this weekend to help with photos.
My wholesale order of bags arrived and will work really well to store/ship roving. I also purchased some dyed mohair roving which arrived this week and feels really soft. BFL dyed roving was also purchased this week and should be arriving in a few days. I do like how BFL spins up and it seems to take dye rather well. We shall see how this new batch measures up to my first purchase as it is from a different vendor.
We were featured in a treasury this week and received some views from it. Minimal views have occurred from the Ennea Collective ad but it is still early in the month. Ennea Collective is an online magazine dedicated to showcasing objects created with hand spun yarn. You never truly know how well an ad will do in a venue until you try it. The last 30 days have brought in 12 views thus far but no sales. Oh well exposure if always good and perhaps will bring in sales closer to the holidays.
The alpaca hat is being re-worked as I didn’t have enough yarn to make a large hat. It is being made in the smaller version and I have just finished the twisted cable pattern. This time it is being made in white but will be similar to the brown version.